Money can cause a lot of problems if you don’t know how to manage it.
Although, maybe money management isn’t the right term—how about living with it harmoniously?
The key to having money and knowing how to incorporate it into your life involves having a healthy mindset around finances that don’t control you 24/7. Instead, you need a philosophy around money that doesn’t make you think about it as a necessity, but as a tool to help you achieve what you want in life.
The world may covet the almighty dollar, but that doesn’t mean you have to let it rule you. Take it from these experts who understand the secrets behind money, and with their wisdom, you can learn how to change your perspective on why it matters:
1. Money never made a man happy yet, nor will it. The more a man has, the more he wants. Instead of filling a vacuum, it makes one. (Benjamin Franklin)
Take it from a founding father—the pursuit of money never ends when you position it as a measure of happiness. Instead, keep it as a tool to pursue what you love.
2. A wise person should have money in their head, but not in their heart. (Jonathan Swift)
To piggyback off of Franklin, Swift offers no satire in this serious statement about finances. It’s okay to keep money in mind, but don’t let it steer you against your personal compass.
3. I love money. I love everything about it. I bought some pretty good stuff. Got me a $300 pair of socks. Got a fur sink. An electric dog polisher. A gasoline powered turtleneck sweater. And, of course, I bought some dumb stuff, too. (Steve Martin)
This may sound like a joke from a comedy legend, but really, it offers a profound understanding of what people spend money on. All the things people buy, more often than not, they’re worthless in the end. So instead, use money to buy things with true meaning—true value.
4. It’s not the employer who pays the wages. Employers only handle the money. It’s the customer who pays the wages. (Henry Ford)
And this is something that all professionals and business owners need to understand: it’s the customer that deserves your respect and attention. It’s pretty amazing that an industry tycoon like Ford had the wisdom to put the customer first; an example all leaders should follow.
5. Empty pockets never held anyone back. Only empty heads and empty hearts can do that. (Norman Vincent Peale)
When someone has nothing to lose, that’s when true creativity and determination take hold. However, as Peale says, you have to have a fire in your brain and passion in your heart to make dreams come true…money will only get you so far.
6. Before you speak, listen. Before you write, think. Before you spend, earn. Before you invest, investigate. Before you criticize, wait. Before you pray, forgive. Before you quit, try. Before you retire, save. Before you die, give. (William A. Ward)
Ward doesn’t just focus this quote on money, but overall, it’s a schematic for a genuinely wealthy life. Practice each of these and you’ll be a rich individual.
7. It doesn’t matter about money; having it, not having it. Or having clothes, or not having them. You’re still left alone with yourself in the end. (Billy idol)
Sadly, yourself is all you have in the end. And though it may feel like a lonely result, it’s a stark reminder that everyone must be happy with themselves before they can find happiness in other things. Even all the money in the world can’t fix one’s self-perception or oust out one’s inner demons.
8. Money is like love; it kills slowly and painfully the one who withholds it, and enlivens the other who turns it on his fellow man. (Kahlil Gibran)
Gibran offers a ton of wonderful quotes and insights on life in his book, The Prophet, but this quote in particular offers a tremendous lesson for those who hoard their wealth for only themselves. Eventually, it will kill you in painful ways, unless you find a way to let it prosper in the lives of others.
9. I will tell you the secret to getting rich on Wall Street. You try to be greedy when others are fearful. And you try to be fearful when others are greedy. (Warren Buffet)
Buffet is a financial wizard with a long history of winning bets on the stock market, although he didn’t get there by following the crowd. If you can take away anything from Buffet’s words, it’s that you shouldn’t think or act the same way everyone else does. Forge your own thinking and follow your instincts, even if that means going against the mainstream.
10. You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead, pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off you. (Maya Angelou)
Finally, don’t make money your ultimate goal. For instance, if you want to start a business so that you can be rich and famous, you’ll never be truly accomplished. On the other hand, if you want to be an entrepreneur that helps everyday people solve a pain point, and you start a business to fill that void, then you’ll have something worthwhile.
AND.CO is Here to Help You Succeed
On your pursuit of what you love doing, you’ll need a financial platform to help keep you on the right tracks.
With AND.CO, you get a valuable resource that helps you send client invoices, keep track of your own finances, and most of all, it allows you to plan for the future with a variety of tools to keep you focused. Whether you’re a freelancer just getting started or a seasoned professional looking for an efficient way to manage your money, AND.CO is here to help you succeed.
Click here to sign up now!